Tuesday 15 February 2011

Vanished breath


I started thinking about how I used to use nail varnish when I was younger to paint anything I could get my hands on, due to its incredible thickness and covering power it was just what I wanted to be able to transform anything I owned, and how I could use this now I have returned to living in my mother attic once again. So I started to paint a cig box, using the classic Gothic black nail varnish that proved so popular with me in my teens.

Having developed somewhat artistically, and no longer being bound by the idea that painting should involve some form of obvious imagery, I began to play with how I used to dry my nails, this was all very nostalgic for me. Having re-familiarised myself with the medium, and due to my fondness of personal research I began to pontificate about how I could make a record of this breath that I used to waste on silly things like nails.

So treating the box as one very large nail I attempted to impress upon it the motion of my breath, thus, due to its size in comparison to my amount of breath I have in me (which is greatly diminished by the departed occupants of the box) created ripples in the varnish. There you have it, a personal record of my breath left on either side of a metal cig box, but this was not clear enough. 

So sacrificing the concept of the breath and the cig box, beautiful as it is, I decided to used the box as if it were a stamp, this onto a sheet of assertate (poor spelling sorry) creating an image that could be scrutinised at a  greater level. Holding the stamped breath up to light as the image shows gives it a rich and detailed beauty. I feel there are legs on this idea, and more experimenting should occur. 





No comments:

Post a Comment