Tuesday 15 February 2011

Joe Galens Album Cover





I've created an album cover for Joe Galens album which will be funded and run by Creaked Records. The original idea for the cover was for me to take the lyrics, that had what I felt were good building blocks for a scene; these were then placed together into a rough sketch which Joe approved.

I then put my ideas of how the cover should look overall to Joe Galen, to attempt to get him to impart to me what sort of style, colour theme or in fact what sort of direction he would like to take his cover.

These efforts got me no-where as artistic differences and communication problems arised. so I decided to simply go with what I thought would be a good eye catching and interesting album cover, and see how Joe felt about it once it was completed. Which resulted in the main body of this image, I again attempted to gain Joes opinion about how to incorporate the as of yet undecided name of not only himself but also the album. So having continued to wait a while longer and deciding on creating the cover with a space in the top left hand corner so the eventual title could be inserted I continued with the background.

The background itself was created by using a scanner and various pompoms, pictures and objects I felt related to Joe, and/or his lyrics. These scans were then inverted to produce an overall tone that lightened to entire cover, from quite an aggressive and chaotic montage to a more neutral tone that better reflected Joes songs. Finally adding an inverted image of Joes face in the bottom right hand corner, as he is vomiting out all of this world I think pulls the piece together.

Joe was until recently unsure of what to call himself, this has been resolved to Joe Galen.


No comments:

Post a Comment