Tuesday 15 February 2011

Book Folding

I have started to research the idea of book bindings and fastenings, looking into how different forms of bindings produce a variety of reactions within me, and indeed an altered method of use for the books themselves. The concept came about whilst I was attempting to lay my life out bare through the medium of diary or journal keeping, the more bespoke books I created the more obvious it became that their is a definite pattern within my ability to keep up the day to day recordings.

Tailoring books is something that had never occurred to me, as a concept or as the hot topic it actually is. when asking to see friends and family members diaries I noticed that there is always going to be a plethora of different sizes, shapes, bindings, rigidity, detail, and so on and so forth. I find this terribly interesting in particular the amount of personality each different book/diary can take on within its form. This has also helped me to realize how much I do actually use books and how I am indeed drawn towards any books that are left lying around.

Before I started on this train of thought I originally felt that I had become quite divorced from the use of paper and books due to my seemingly endless addiction to the internet, computers and generally anything that is technology related. This has proved to be a pleasant surprise and a reanalysis of the amount and form I collect data on myself, as a result I have started to attach the notes, printouts, leaflets etc that I hoard together using a variety of stationary fixings (eg: split pins, paper clips etc). The resulting books are very untidy and fairly unorganized, but they do have a lovely catalog like quality which I'm sure I will always appreciate them more than anyone else does.

Along with this I have started to research the fold/manipulation of books to produce a sculpture, something that has been growing in popularity of recent. Within my research I have concluded that the only way to gain a good incite is to start folding myself, the process is very relaxing and I think it has the same sort of qualities as craft work, below are some images of my first attempts.






I want to look into producing small examples, and have been considering the possible applications of these book sculptures within arts and health, or simply as decorations...



Useful websites:

No comments:

Post a Comment